Rib Stitch Hat
Created By: Clella Gustin
Time to Do: 3 - 5 hours
1. Note: Kids love these funky hats. Pull out all of the little pieces of yarn left over from your knitting projects. Tie them together or add them on as you go. Use a dark color (like dark blue or red) for the base color. Remember the top of the ridge is always put on the first row. For the multi-colored hat, start with the small pieces of yarn.
2. I will talk about making the rib stitch as if you were making the navy blue hat with the crayon variegated yarn on the top.
3. Start the roll up part of the hat. Wrap the loom with one strand of navy yarn, then wrap with one strand of the variegated yarn, and then wrap again with the navy blue. You will now have 3 loops on each peg. (Image 1)
4. When you knit over, take the two bottom loops over the top loop.(Image 2) Do 6 rows and then change the order of the colors to make the variegated yarn on the top ridge of the knitting. Do this by wrapping 2 rows of navy blue. Then change back to the variegated yarn. This should reverse the colors of the knitting. Continue wrapping the navy and the variegated every other row. (Image 3)
5. Knit to the desired length. Use another piece of yarn to take the loops off of the loom with the yarn needle (follow instructions in the Round Loom packaging). Pull tight and tie in a square knot. (Image 4)
What you will need.
Provo Craft Supplies
Knifty Knitter green Round Loom
1 skein of knitting worsted yarn for the base of the hat